Thursday, July 30, 2009

Baby Shower Etiquette

Okay, so I'm at a loss for the etiquette behind baby showers. I know that I was expected to throw a shower for my sister in law before she and my brother got married and that was fine. I was the closer sister, Sarah living in TX at the time, and my mom shouldn't have to throw a shower when she was already paying for a bunch of wedding stuff. I'm cool with that, and I understood my duty and privilege to throw that party. She got some great kitchen stuff! Pampered Bride parties are awesome. I'm a bit jealous since the idea wasn't hot when I got married. I'm not bitter.

But on to this baby shower thing. I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant. I got 10 to go and most of these "experts" in the magazines and baby books all suggest having showers about 2 months before Baby is due. Okay, well that's easy to type, but how do I get it done? I'm a total doer, and I have no shame asking someone if they'd be willing to help me throw my own shower. But apparently, that's not proper etiquette. So with a mom in Little Rock and a sister in Hot Springs, both 4-5 hours away, how am I supposed to have a shower? I've already had people asking me when I am having a shower and I have nothing to offer them other than where I've registered.

So the other day I was talking with a friend without the intent to sucker someone into it, but good ol' Allyson Neely overheard and offered to throw me a shower! So maybe I should just ask? What are your thoughts? I know of a couple others who would be happy to throw me a shower if they were close enough for it to be possible - Jani and Sara S. and probably Sara C. So let me know what you would do in my shoes. I'm curious. Thanks!

No comments: